Footfriend - The Lacuna Method
A Simple Effective Treatment for Fungal Nails
The Lacuna Method treatment for fungal nails works by painlessly drilling many tiny micro holes (fenestration) in the infected nail plate through to the skin under the nail (the nail bed). Following the first part of the treatment where the nails are micro drilled, the nails are then treated with Terbinafine spray which is able to get through these holes directly to the source of infection – the infected nail bed. With daily application at home of the anti-fungal agent, the infection in the nail bed is cleared and the damaged nail grows out. (NB: Without delivery of a fungicidal agent to the source of the infection, clearance of the infection is highly unlikely).
The Lacuna method has shown to be a very effective way of eradicating fungal nail infections in recent studies and is often the preferred treatment of choice, when topical applications have not worked effectively or where taking a prescribed Terbinafine tablet is not indicated to the patient.
This method is discussed with the Patient as a treatment option following a detailed assessment /consultation, to ascertain its suitability for each individual patient.
Important information about The Lacuna Method
This treatment is not suitable for everyone – we would like to make you aware of the following:
- There are some contra-indications which will be discussed in your initial assessment along with identifying whether the infection is in-fact fungal.
- Making holes in the nail although usually painless is not considered painless by everyone. Most patients liken it to having their eyebrows plucked. Any discomfort is short-lived.
- There is sometimes bleeding from beneath the nail, where some of the holes are made. This is to be expected and a dressing will be applied if required. Treatment with the fungicidal spray can still be started but there may be some stinging on the first few applications.
- This is not a short treatment – there is no quick fix for fungal nail infections. You need to commit to applying the spray daily for at least 6 months, or the treatment is likely to fail.
- You will need to return to have your affected nails trimmed approximately every 6 weeks during the treatment to have the holes re drilled and further holes drilled as necessary (as the nail grows) and to check the progress in general.
No nail varnish may be worn during the duration of the treatment.
- Please note, we’d like to make you aware that Lamisil spray is a treatment for fungal infection of the skin not the nail. Using it for the nail is deemed as ‘off-licence’. There have however been several clinical trials using Lamisil this way with good results and by drilling through the nail, the treatment is actually reaching the skin in the nail bed, which is the source of the infection, so by treating the source whilst the nail grows out the infection is cleared.
Any fungal infection of the skin will also need to be treated.
- Further advice regarding reducing the chance of re infection will need to be followed.
Lacuna Method Treatment Costs
Assessment appointment £44.00
(Assess the nails and infection, discuss the treatment in detail, it’s implications and any contra-indications.)
Test for dermatophytes £45.00
Course of Lacuna Treatment (4 x Lacuna Treatment appointments at approximately 6 weekly intervals) £300
How can we help
We will need to assess you and possibly test your nail(s) for the presence of the dermatophytes that cause fungal nail infections before a treatment plan can be made.
You can book a Lacuna Method Assessment appointment either online or via our reception.
Contact us to see if this simple, effective treatment for fungal nails is suitable for you. We look forward to seeing you at our Beverley Clinic; serving Beverley, Hull and surrounding villages.
Isn’t it time you treated your feet?
“I have been a client with Damian for a number of years. I am a Type 2 Diabetic and visit every eight weeks, Damian takes very good care of my feet, and keeps me up to date with information on the care of my feet, including ill fitting shoes. I would recommend him to all of my friends.”
K. Johnson, Hull
“My feet always feel smooth as silk after visiting Footfriend”
Mrs Hatfield of Leconfield
“Very experienced. Will definitely be going back.”
“Toes all fine! Thank for a first class job.”
Mr.Hazell of Shiptonthorpe
“That feels lovely, it’s like walking on air.”
Mrs Cooper of South Cave
“I have been visiting Footfriend now for over 12 years . During this time, I have found the standard of care and service to be first class . As I get older , I find visiting a professional very superior to trying to care for my feet and toes myself.”
John Bullock, Beverley
“Since childhood I have suffered from foot problems and have been to several chiropodists with varying degrees of success. When my last chiropodist retired he recommended Damian Johns in Beverley. My wife and I have now been patients of Damian for over 10 years and we are very pleased with him. His practice provides a wide range of foot care including excellent footwear, foot supports and referrals for further specialized foot treatment. The reception staff are very welcoming and are able to offer appointments to suit patients lifestyle. I would recommend anyone with foot concerns to consult Damian for help and advice.”
B. Precious, Cottingham
“Can I just thank you & Vicky for being so nice today at my Mother's appointment. She was 'over the moon' with the service she received & even went shopping in Beverley & bought some new shoes! Thanks again, we will be back.”
“Damian and Vicky are fantastic and sorted out my very painful foot. I've used their services for quite some time and they never disappoint. The ladies at Reception are fab too and we always have a laugh. Highly recommended.”
“I just wanted to say thank you for the competent and friendly treatment I received on Thursday last week. My feet haven't felt so comfortable in ages and the squidgy thing for between my toes is really very comfortable and will hopefully keep the corns at bay. It shouldn't be a surprise but it's amazing how much happier I feel with less painful and uncomfortable feet! Thanks once again.”
Gill Morrell, Skidby